View Single Post
Old 04-24-2003, 03:48 PM

A/C compressor, manifold hose & oil

I'm swapping engines and evaluating the A/C systems in my parts car and daily driver.

The parts car has not been driven in 2 years. The A/C compressor, condenser, manifold hose, & drier was replaced in 1998 and filled with R-12. To my knowledge the system has only ever seen R-12. There was no pressure in the system when I removed the parts, no oil leaked out of the manifold hose or the compressor. Turning the outside of the clutch to turn the shaft, it was not seized and I heard some suction going on.

The daily driver had a run in with a deer 2 months ago. The A/C compressor, condenser, manifold hose, & direr was replaced 12 months ago and filled with R134a (previously had R134a conversion by a previous owner). The condenser was damaged in the deer accident and there was no pressure in the system. Removing the manifold hose and compressor caused a puddle of oil to leak out. Turning the outside of the clutch to turn the A/C comp shaft was VERY easy to turn compared to the parts car and oil dribbled out. I did hear suction going on.

Which car is 'normal' ? I have never dealt with A/C before & do not know how easy it should be to turn the compressor shaft or how much oil should be in the system.

Thanks in advance,