View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 03:47 PM
Shadetree

Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel911 View Post
The shaft that turned the Ignition Switch on mine also broke. It mimicked the Lock Tumbler issue where the Key got stuck and I had to fiddle with it to get the key to turn and come back out.

I think if you believe you are having a lock tumbler issue it would be a good idea to go the extra distance and remove the Steering Colum Lock assemble and take a look inside of it ant also at the Ignition Switch itself.

On my Ignition Switch one of the Contact Points on one side was burned off and gone. So it was just a matter of time before the arm itself would be burned through.

When you order a new Steering Colum Lock you can get it with a new Ignition Switch and a new Vacuum Switch (the one on the Steering Colum Lock assembly).
In my experience with MB ignitions giving one a complete exam will save the inconvenience and expense of being stranded sooner or later.

I needed a diesel ignition when I installed a 617 in the gas body so the vac shutdown system would work. The gasser body had a two wire switch mounted on the original ignition. I was able to remove the little black switch off a gas ignition and put it on the new diesel ignition I'd bought to prevent future issues. It resisted but it will slide out of that molded bracket. These were 1st gen bodies and engines so what I'm reporting may not work with the 2nd gen w126s.
95 318ic