View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyl604 View Post
I do not know the 240D but I have a 1981 300SD. The vac modulator on the tranny is round and has a ridge in the center so you can turn it CW or CCW to adjust the shift. A vac line runs from the vac modulator (there is a nipple) to the VCV (vacuum control valve) up front at the injection pump. In the pic below the VCV is the white plastic gizmo with vac lines attached. It is supposed to supply about 10-15 ihg vac to the vac modulator until you hit the accelerator at which time the vac goes quickly to zero so you get a smooth upshift. For downshift it applies vac through the modulator to give a smooth downshift.

For the 240D I am guessing you have the same setup. So run the vac line from the VCV back to the vac modulator. Without you will get really bad upshifts, jarring. But the downshifts should be OK without it.

Thank you! I wasn't sure if the vacuum line went to a junction between the VCV and modulator or not. The line was running down to the passenger side. I'm going to see if I can find the modulator and get everything hooked up properly.

Should there be anything else hooked up to the VCV? at the current moment I have a Y junction, one side goes to the transmission the other leads to a four way split that provides vacuum for all my internals. If I understand correctly that is wrong, and instead the internals should be connected directly to the switch over valve but I want to make sure. I do not seem to have a EGR on this engine, I do not know if the engine is older or if perhaps the EGR was just removed.