View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 10:54 AM

I'm new to diesels, hook me up with some links

I'm considering picking up a clean 99 E300TD, I've never owned a diesel. I was just wanting something well running and fairly easy to turn wrenches on as a daily...until I happened across people making actual monsters out of these engines. Who knew a 90s diesel motor from Mercedes made stupid amounts of power, I would have never guessed.

My past daily drivers have been LT1 6sp Trans Ams, 300ZX Turbos, 300ZX Twin Turbos, hot rodded 280Zs, Eclipse GSXs, twin turbo Audi S4, and most recently...a stock Silverado lol

Now that I've come across multiple videos on people making insane power on these motors, the Diesel Shop in England making all those parts, the shop in Germany making crazy power on them, etc, it kinda got me thinking maybe I want to hotrod a diesel. Unfortunately, I come from the world of turbo gas engines. You gotta have bigger fuel pump and fancy electronic controllers, new injectors, bigger turbos, intercooler upgrades, fancy electronics to control all the fuel and timing and spark, all this stuff that makes building one for the average shade tree mechanic a bit difficult. Is there a guide somewhere on what it takes in parts and labor to beef one of these up? I'm more than happy to read through stories and articles online if you guys just know where any are. Mostly what it looks like is a bigger turbo (manifold maybe needed depending on turbo), bigger fuel pump, and bigger injectors. Surely I'm missing something, but if there is a step by step guide somewhere to building one, I'm all ears!

Also, is there anyone in the States that builds parts for these? Shipping all that stuff from England may be a bit cost prohibitive.