View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnate1 View Post
" Nobody ever claimed that reality was easy. Even just the concept of it is very hard for many people. The current age of your son may play into this as a large factor. "

I'm sure this is the core issue .

It's odd though because I'm supposed to have died several times over already and some how what's left of me is still here, ever slower but still going .

My son is a journeyman mechanic, racer (two & four wheel, mostly off pavement) and an enthusiastic 4X4 off roader, he takes his entire family along including the baby, he's seen enough death and mayhem to clearly grasp the concept of me not coming home one day .

When I was in high school long ago they had 'Home Economics' and my then girlfriend suggested I take it, I didn't and now think it should be a mandatory subject, no one taught me the basics of running a household, nor how to balance a checkbook etc. and since I've lived on my own since I was 14 years old, the learning curve was steep and I made every possible mistake I think but as mentioned, doing things and learning how to handle life is very rewarding, not scary .

I really want to set up living trusts for my assets so my grand children will be protected if my next Moto collision is my exit but as h.m. mentions, not doing it correctly can create a nightmare .
Housework is about the most miserable repedative non rewarding type of thing that I can think of. What the majority of our wives bear and not complain about constantly is remarkable to me. I gave it some thought years ago. The possible conclusion was the home is their empire. That may also be the reason two women do not coexist that well usually in the same one. They are territorial goes without saying.

The long held concept that the home is our castle may be flawed. I have never tested this and would be reluctant to try. Your castle you clean it comes to mind instantly.

When the kids where young the wives probably put in 10-12 hours seven days a week. Still today my wife at 72 is both very busy and still catches the vast majority of the housework. Fortunately the wife has a very good sense of humor. Still as Clintwood one stated in a movie. A man has to know his limits.

About the only thing I can do is make certain to support she gets to do what she wants. She once told me that it is too bad I did not just space floorboards in the cottage so the sand and dirt could just drop through.

I admit unlike some of the son in laws. I do not pitch in with housework as much as I should. somehow managing to live with the guilt. How bad is this domestic household maintenance for the wife?

She still brings it up periodically that of all the dishwashers we have had. The last one purchased about eight months ago still gets her mention. As being far, far better than what has gone before. It apparently cleans everything spotless all the time. The run cycle is three to four hours though. It is also very quiet. This has a lot of underlying signifigance to me. A happy wife does require some sensitivity and interpretation on our parts.

Something like making sense out of tea leaves. I watch far too many of our friends drop the ball. One guy asking his wife at a large gathering at our home. Why can you not cook like his wife does was a memorial classic.

I new by intuition that remark was going to cost him. I noticed the other woman in the room swivel their heads. It was like observing a wrongful remark at a mafia meeting. The wife has an exceptional skill cooking and preparing meals and all those other women know it. I make a point of mentioning this to her frequently myself.

Besides all these other commercial points we accumulate. Brownie points can benefit us the most. They only require sincerity on our part. If I ever needed a radar detector in a car I was driving. The wife could suffice.

Nostalgia for me was your mention of balancing a cheque book. I skim over statements that come in the mail today is pretty much it. Just looking for anything abnormal. I very seldom write cheques anymore nor the wife in comparison to yesteryear. Although for many they would still be better off if they were more connected to their spending of money.

I do not care how I spend money. The earlier trait of stretching the dollar remains. As senseless as it seems at times. It meant something that I got five brand new six panel interior doors for twenty five dollars with one being solid core about a week ago. Yet at the same time I thought what does it really matter anymore?

It is only remotely at best relevant to this thread. I purchased a new toilet as a replacement yesterday . I noticed a couple of models had sensors. Thinking I am not even going to investigate what function they could perform. I seem to have mastered the old toilets well enough. I did not even want to investigate. Even with my remaining naturally strong sense of curiosity. Their are limits.

Last edited by barry12345; 02-12-2019 at 03:31 PM.