Thread: Apple iMac?
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 09:27 PM
Banned

I have the 27” 2010. Maybe mine is 2012.

Anyway, I bought it used, Apple certified. It does everything I need, but I’m not a gamer or a techie. Home finances, email, etc. never had a problem with it. I’m keeping mine until entropy works it’s magic.

I also have a later model Apple laptop. Same deal. But I replaced the hard drive with solid state. I think it’s a half terabyte. I dunno. Or care. It runs and never crashes, but I don’t make heavy demands on it.

Finally, I have a nearly new large screen HP laptop my grandaughter gave me for GIS — it has almost the full suite of ESRI’s ArcGIS. That’s a resource demanding program. The HP has never blinked.

I like the Apple products because they have high fidelity across Apple devices through time and are the most reliable personal computers and electronics I own. However, there are programs, particularly in STEM, that are close to exclusively on Windows machines. Also, the best computer games are designed and optimized for Windows. And over times, Windows has greatly improved.

On a limited budget I’d consider a Windows computer. If you have the means then Apple makes the better product (with some software limitations).

YMMV