View Single Post
Old 04-25-2003, 10:54 PM
Stella!

Windshield washer jets - they are adjustable!!!

A lesson in faith.

I went out and puttered with Marlene this evening...on the list was taking care of one of the things she's needed since we first met - fixing the windshield washers.

Oh yeah, the one on the right side worked fine but the left was MIA, gushing fluid from the hood/cowl junction and generally being useless.

So, I re-plumbed everthing on the hood and Shazam! Working washers...except they are aimed too high and might really strike the windshield of the car behind you in traffic.

I say to myself, "Surely, the fine engineers at MB don't really expect me to be driving so fast that the washer fluid would be forced onto the windshield by the blast of air coming over the hood at autobahn-like speeds."

"No," I think, "This component is just like every other facet of this vehicle: it has to be adjustable!"

And fellow forumites, the jets are adjustable!!

The jets are actually metal orifices which are pressed into the plastic jet housing that is on the hood. They can be re-aimed if necessary. I used a very small drill bit (#64 or so) as a mandrel, placing the blank end of the drill into the mis-aimed jet's orifice and gently moving the orifice in the direction necessary to get the fluid stream to hit the desired point on the windshield. It might take a couple of tries but believe me, those jets can be aimed.

Proof once again that Mercedes Benz is "Engineered like no other car in the world."

Cheers,
Randy

Last edited by R Leo; 04-26-2003 at 12:07 AM.