View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the input everyone!

The M103 has rockers over the cam and I have also thought about the M102 rockers or just machining solid lifters for the rockers as I do work in a machine shop. Do these engine have valve train stability issues? That's a big issue with my CA20E powered Nissan.

As far as leak down I do intend to do that before pulling the head and just seeing what I get. If the numbers are good I will leave the bottom end alone. At minimum I need to do a head gasket on this junkyard engine.

I will have to double check the casting but we bought it as a 1990 300E engine to go in the 2.6 190E. This is a junkyard engine that I have never seen run but I have had good luck with that in the past. I had a 1991 300E engine apart a while ago and that had a very open combustion chamber compared to the 2.6 engines. What years have a higher compression head? We can always claim this engine as that year.

As for rules the simplified version of this is we can swap in an engine that makes less than 200 hp stock to avoid taking on penalty laps. Swapping heads, cams, manifolds, rotating assembly, etc from that engine will incur penalty laps for the car based on how we have it configured. Milling the head, doing a valve job, cleaning up a casting, using different rings, etc is open and they don't attempt to enforce that. So really we're stuck with a 3.0 M103 that has a long block that was available stock but we can work it over a little. I'm not expecting huge gains but with the more advanced 2.6 spark timing and some little things here and there maybe we can approach 200hp which puts us with the faster M52 swapped BMWs.

It would be interesting to see how changing cam timing would effect overall power. With the way the 2.6 transmission is geared having more area under curve would be very helpful.

We run the stock CIS-E system. Any tips on tuning that for power outside stock parameters? It would be nice to go to a microsquirt setup on a 2.8 M104 engine but that is a more involved project than we want to tackle before we're running the car in April.

Current:
'74 450SLC
'89 190E
'95 E420

Previous:
'94 E320
'87 300E
'73 350SL
'75 450SL
'95 C36
'99 C43 55 swap

Last edited by Mighty190; 02-20-2019 at 10:35 AM.