View Single Post
Old 02-25-2019, 03:26 PM
Unbanned...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixto View Post
x2 The picture shows both sections of the chain on the driven sprocket. The visible sprocket drives the intake cam. Something came loose and rode the chain to a weak spot in the valve cover.
I agree with Sixto, especially if the chain rails and tensioner are OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddybenz View Post
As stated, there are in fact teeth missing from the front of the cam gear
Can you post a photo of the missing teeth? I'm not seeing that in your previous photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddybenz View Post
My question at this point is that since it is apparent that the cam gear's teeth were damaged do I need to replace the timing chain as well?
The chain doesn't automatically require replacement, but it would be a good ideal to mark a link on the chain, and turn the engine by hand so you can inspect the entire length of the chain. If timing marks are aligned, AND stretch is within factory specs, AND there is no visible sign of damage to the chain... I'd leave it alone.

You really should drop the oil pan and inspect for debris in the sump. This may also help solve the mystery as to what caused the valve cover to pop in the first place. It may be a miserable job; I'm not sure what's involved.

Replacing the valve cover won't be cheap either, new is ~$250 from discount dealers, a used cover may be difficult to locate. If you don't identify the root cause, you'll be really unhappy if you install a new valve cover and have the replacement cover suddenly get extra ventilation like the first.