View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 10:53 PM

I wanted to add there is an older coal mining town about fifteen miles away. Springhill Nova Scotia. In the day the mines paid wages but the corporations left as little as possible behind In the community. Kept the workers poor and scrabbling using periodic intentional layoffs.

This created a different kind of population as seldom do they ever recover from the loss of their mines. The installation of a medium security prison really never changed much. Actually many of these towns throw in their town charters eventually and just become part of the counties.

My guess is parts of Tenessee may have had somewhat simular fates. Kentucky did I believe. A large part of Maine just to the south of us has suffered harshly with the loss of their basic industrial base years ago now.

I all too well remember traversing the area many, many years ago and seeing all the small factories working through the night as I drove. First they vanished. Then the supporting commercial community places. Then the transportation network. Becoming pretty desolate for the population that remained.