View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnate1 View Post
Indeed they're out there ! .

Last year whilst looking for W123 parts in Ventura, Ca. I stumbled across and purchased, a 1975 BM R60/6 Motocycle with 8,000 original miles in amazingly good condition . the paint & chrome are all nearly flawless and it runs and rides as new .

I'm surprised to see that anyone doesn't know that parking over Concrete is the very best a it halts moisture from destroying the vehicle .

Remember : RUST NEVER SLEEPS .

We had a 1937 Bentley St. James Coupe from the late 1950's through the late 1960's, it drove well and easily kept up with the open highway traffic .

Parking over concrete indoors is not the best in our region. It most likely is regional dependant.

The best old cars stored outside for decades. I found at Limestone Maine. They all still had their floors intact. So for long term storage perhaps a few bags of lime spread under cars in storage might be beneficial.

Depends on the climate though I suppose. Interesting place. There was a large air force base nearby.

When transferred many service people just left their cars behind. The owner of the place towed them in and never crushed them. I went there a few times over the years. Plus the last time just before the crushing of them all. Opening bid was 100.00 and the majority sold for just about that. The convertibles went for around 300.00. The majority where in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

No ideal of how many cars there but it was extensive. Rusting was minimal. I have made it a habit when leaving a car outside for long periods to roll out some plastic to drive it on. The edges of the plastic will be destroyed by the sun other than if the car is in a pretty shaded location. It does seem to help a lot though.