View Single Post
Old 04-28-2003, 02:56 PM

If you're just swapping the trans you may just want to pull that and leave the engine installed.

I've got (2) 1987 300D's that use the same engine and trans as your car. On the engine hoist is not THAT heavy. The chain goes on the pull hook in the rear of the intake manifold and on the front loop in the head. With the host hook in the middle of the chain the complete assembly is angled just about right to get it in the car.

The wiring harness isn't hard, nor is moving the P/S or A/C systems out of the way. I removed the entire driveshaft (3 bolts on front flex disc, center support, and 3 bolts on rear flex disc) rather than trying to separate the halves. The exhaust downpipe takes some patience because one of the bolts (1 of 3) doesn't give you alot of room to move the ratchet or wrench.

Take note when disassembling the vacuum system so you can get all the connections back together when you're done. I haven't encountered any rusted or stuck bolts (yet) - its a current project.

Once the engine/trans is out separating the two isn't hard. Disconnect the vacuum and shift cables and the banjo fittings fo the cooler lines. Then there are (6) 13mm bolts on the torque converter towards the lower part of the bell housing. Just turn the engine at the crank to get them all out. The start comes right out (2) 17 mm bolts and then there are (8) more 17 mm bolts for the rest of the bell housing.

HTH,