View Single Post
Old 03-30-2019, 04:03 PM

It has been awhile. Remove the idle passage screw down towards the base of the cab. Assuming you carbs have them. Gas should flow out. In my experience the passage gets filled with dried gas residue. Your carb cleaner may not have cleared them properly.

No gas comes out and I will post how to deal with that easily. When on idle of course it depends on suction. This setup is notorious for old leaking gaskets under the carbs.

I am not that good on these carbs. At the same time if the car ran good the last time before it sat. Or was only infrequently used. Those passages will block.

I developed what I think was an easy way to clean them on the engine. Still use it on small carbs to this day. I used to make up the new gaskets under them as well. Out of what I cannot remember. The thicker one I sometimes padded up with a thinner one to eliminate the air leakage. When these carbs are good I like them.

Laquer Thinner will dissolve built up dried gas residue better than anything I have ever seen. Plus the engine will run on it. It has to be a real chronic problem as even if an engine was running fairly good. A soaking while on the engine almost always seemed to further improve them.

Of all the needless kitting of carbs over the years for this fault really hit home with me. Although you have to use common sense. Yet on idle problems this is the first place to go. Air leaks and obstructed passages. A completely obstructed passage will usually clear in twenty minutes or less. You just watch for the flow to start or improve. If you pull the needle and have good flow first of course you know it is not the problem.

Another indicator of the problem is how far out is the idle screw to start with? Lightly screw it back in to tell. You get a lot of turns of course the likelihood of an air leak or partially obstructed passage is probable.

Last edited by barry12345; 03-30-2019 at 04:36 PM.