View Single Post
Old 04-29-2003, 09:58 AM
sgrist

Pre-glow timer relay shot?

When I turn the key to the pre-glow position, no dash lights come on, no outside lights will illuminate if I turn on the light switch, ---and a whirring/fast clicking sound comes from the pre-glow timer relay (the black box on the left side wall of the engine compartment near the front wheel). This sound will continue while I have the key at this position (although I have not let it continue longer than about 10 seconds, so far).

If I wait the normal amount of time I would normally wait for the plugs to warm up before starting, turn the key to the crank notch and try to crank --nothing. No solenoid clicks -- all dead.

The battery is fully charged.

The only thing alive on the dash is the tach needle --which jerks all over the place.

The big fuse metal strip thing (80amp, from reading threads) inside the preglow relay looks intact.

I don't have a volt meter.

Here's the question: Does this sound like the pre-glow relay is just shot and I should go ahead an replace it? I hate to have the old boy towed (never has been since 1979). Is it worth buying a meter or just replacing glowplugs?

I'd sure like to solve this myself...