Thread: Foster Children
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2019, 10:45 PM

Fostering has become very complicated. New foster parents are throwing in the towel at a rapid pace. The system is both short staffed and social workers grab onto other areas that can use them as fast as possible. Workers by and large in child welfare do not really like their jobs anymore.

It takes initial training lasting about a year. For a foster parent applicant to see the first child here. Then with experience and more training if they become proficient. What you cannot or will not handle costs them about 500.00 a day to deal with. They are placed in group homes etc.

In some areas it is all about money and in others trying to get the system somewhat more functional again with all the new realities.

Depending on the overall situation In your area. It may be possible to ask for easier children until you get more experience.

I have worked at this part time as well as a contract worker on my terms for thirty years part time. Even with that mass of experience I have to stop and think a lot.

By and large normal children no longer enter the fostering system. With rare exceptions. The wife spent years training social workers and foster parents.

Medication in many situations is required. Overall the percentage that will really attach to your family will be small. Most will have one form or another of attachment disorder.

We in north America just do not have a kind and gentle society out there.