View Single Post
Old 04-29-2003, 07:20 PM

Having actually done this repair I can honestly say that the lines do indeed come out without removing any other part of the car(save the actual clamps that hold the lines). It can be like trying to do a bad puzzle after having a few beers but it is very possible to do. Take as many deep breaths as you need and keep telling yourself it can be done.

The biggest problem is getting the lines back in, by this I mean in the proper location as far as the lower bracket is concerned. My biggest problem was that I would look at the lines from the top but try and put them back in while lying on my back. If you don't get the lines in the right place on the lower clamp your screwed and have to take it out and try again. I think some color tape(or any tape) to help identify each line would help. Knowing the exact routing before getting the lines out will also help, taking a picture would be even better (again tape on one line comes in handy here).

As for the aftermarket lines from the aircraft industry I have these comments. If replacing the lines every 5 years prevents a failure and the new lines can be easily replaced, go for it! My only concern is the ability of the lines to withstand all the vibration and movement. If these lines go brittle with age they will surely rupture if left in too long as there is a lot of movement from one end of the line to the other.

One final note, I had a bi*&%^ of a time trying to buy a new line from any source. Nobody had them in stock, MB had to order them from Germany!! From what I read it would be possible to have a local shop replace the rubber sections. Of course the nut on the oil filter end of my hose seized to the line and the fitting in the oil filter holder. The steel section of the line got twisted. I had to hack saw the POS to get it out, was not a good day!