View Single Post
Old 04-29-2003, 07:51 PM

Possible diagnosis?

Larry (and others), you may like to think about the following as a possible diagnosis as to what may be happening with my clutch.

I thought about the self adjustment of the hydraulic slave cylinder to compensate for clutch wear and how this occurs. Presumably, the hydraulics use either or both limits of the pedal (master cylinder) travel as a reference point for the automatic adjustment. What then would be the result of being "lazy" with the clutch and not pushing it firmly to the floor on every gearchange? The reason I ask this is that I considered that perhaps I was being a bit lazy with it. Previous manuals I have owned have had shorter clutch pedal travel than the 190E (about the only aspect of this manual I am not fond of) and I am not used to having to move my left leg quite this much on gearchanges. If this was the case and it was causing the take up point to progressively get higher in the pedal travel, then there would be even less reason to push the pedal firmly to the floor. I decided the only way to prove this is to conciously fully de-clutch at all times. Guess what? The take up point seems to be moving back down to where it should be! Maybe it had progressed high enough to cause a little slip and I hadn't imagined it, and now it has gone back towards where it should be, eliminating any slip.

What do you think of this theory? I will conciously be deliberate with my left leg action and monitor the situation. Hopefully I have "fixed" the problem without dismantling anything!
201.028: 190E 2.3 Sportline, 5-speed manual, arctic white, blue leather.
201.028: 190E 2.3, 4-speed auto, blue-black, grey MBtex.
201.034: 190E 2.3-16, 5-speed manual, blue-black, black leather.