View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 07:24 PM

Thanks @97 SL320 -

I spent some additional/limited time on her today -

1) I "spun" the smaller 1/2 of the fan cowling (the 1/2 closest to the windshield) into the open position, then hung it on the fan.

2) I then removed the two top tabs from the second 1/2 of the fan cowling and while twisting it for removal (around that damn coolant hose), it broke in the process being ~25 year old plastic, but looks [hopefully] repairable and removed it accordingly.

3) I then looked to remove the remaining 1/2 cowling (from Step #1 above), only to find that someone was kind enough [sic] to have zip tied said cowling to a tab at the bottom of the radiator. I cannot currently/readily cut the tie as the fan is in the way, so this 1/2 of the fan cowling currently remains hanging on the fan.

4) I then tried to get a 15MM socket on the tension pulley bolt, I believe it fit, however when trying to remove the socket to get a ratchet on it, the socket then fell on to what I assume was the underbody panel.

With that said - It looks like I am going to jack the car up and try to remove that underbody panel tomorrow, so that I can both get my 15MM socket back and in the likely event anything else falls during the repair, I can more readily retrieve it.

At this point, I am -

a) Trying to avoid removing the radiator at all costs if feasible.
b) Hoping to get at & remove the pulley asap, so I can determine if I need to order just the tensioner pulley or the whole belt tensioner assembly
c) Looks like there is no way around replacing the serpentine belt and/or pully without removing the fan (other then possibly removing the radiator instead). I did find a vid or two showing the fan removal on a similar model (non-V12) - Looks like the fan is best removed with a breaker bar and a hex socket/bit on the end, followed by an allen wrench by hand. Though I did also note the use of various specialty tools (depending on the video) used to "lock" the pulley/pulleys in place so that they do not spin when trying to remove the fan bolt. Not sure I can readily access one of these tools.

I am certainly open to any additional suggestions, tips, etc. should anyone have experience with the fan removal and/or tensioner pulley repair, preferably on the V12.

Thanks in advance!

Peace,
-dLo.