View Single Post
Old 04-24-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke2.6 View Post
I don't know how your engine varies from the OE configuration, but you can get a more aggressive spark advance map by removing the R16/1 resistor that is in a pigtail tied to the plastic panel inboard of the battery.

About ten years ago I took the spark advance map (less vacuum advance) for the OE 750 ohm resistor, no resistor, and the connector shorted. The most aggressive map is with no resistor, but I think this config. and the OE resistor both yield 32 degrees max advance at 3200 revs, but with no resistor there's much more advance down low, which provides noticeably more torque/power down low and allows me to use 5th gear down to as little as 30 MPH (about 1200 revs) vs. 45 MPH with the OE resistor.

Either way the engine has a strong pull from 5000 to the rev limiter, but with no resistor the power curve is more linear from off-idle to the rev limiter.

I short the resistor for emission testing, which significantly slows the rate of advance with increasing revs because it lowers emissions (HC is on the ragged edge with the OE resistor), but there is little power below 2000 and virtually no power below 1500.

You can search for threads started by me to see the data.

Duke
The complication of this approach is the different part numbers of ignition modules between export variants. As engineered the module has a broad range of ignition maps, with the one used chosen by the speed of a reference call, which is controlled by resistance that is selected on a dial at the module. This called the R16 reference.

The R16 module (with the selectable dial) has a number of ignition maps for different fuel types, plus baseline and test maps for workshop tuning, bench reference and troubleshooting purposes. This is because several fuel grades are local to European drivers depending on region and one or the other may not be available at a given time on a highway through several countries. Also ECU systems were at infancy of self diagnosis at the time and troubleshooting was done more by mechanics than computers so there are some bench maps to help with that, they're not meant for driving with.

So, bunch of ignition maps, some for fuel grades, some for bench use and not driving. I think there's one for arid/premium as opposed to alpine/premium as well and there's one for track fuel (shell ultra) which seems odd but there you go. A score of maps for fine tuning and diagnosis.

Overseas exports use a more limited variation due to more limited local fuel availabilities, the R16/1 module with different part numbers and have a fixed resistor for the reference call mounted in the battery compartment. These vary by the export region, which I believe goes something like USA/Japan, Australia/New Zealand, Asia/Burma and Middle East.

Since they have different part numbers what is likely and has been postulated during several discussions in the past is the export variations of more limited ignition modules have no reason to have been loaded with maps other than the R16/1 type for that region, plus diagnostic and limp maps.

The ultimate conclusion became then, the best resistor value for the reference call in more limited R16/1 variations of the module is the one fitted at factory, since it is at least guaranteed to have a proper driving map loaded for that value. What is most likely if you either bridge the resistor (0ohms) or remove it (infinitive ohms) is that you either put the module into limp mode or diagnostic mode, whilst replacing the resistor with a different value most likely defaults to limp mode since there are no other maps loaded onto the limited R16/1 variation of the ignition module.

What also appears likely is limp mode is the same map that is used in the Euro R16 module for the lowest fuel grade (Burma, some parts of Eastern Europe, 89RON), since this is the one used with the dial switched to 0ohms.
ie. so bridging the R16/1 probably gets you limp mode which is also the map used for 89RON poor quality fuels.

Quite simply other than the ignition map the export region R16/1 is meant for (USA/Japan 96RON, Australia 89 or 91RON depending on year, etc.), and limp and diagnostic maps there is just no reason for the factory to have other ignition maps loaded on that export.

Certainly there are plenty of anecdotes around the web of improved performance claims by bridging or removing the R16/1 resistor but anecdotal evidence is extremely subjective. For example I fitted a set of fabbed headers on my track prepped 103 and it changed the sensation during acceleration so that senses suggested it actually dropped torque due to lower back pressure and it'd be easy to convince myself of this, that is how it felt. But if you looked out the window you found it was actually accelerating better over a broader range compared to other cars of the same performance, the torque curve was a lot broader but since it was less sharp the sensation was less. So it seemed to have lost torque in sensation but actually gained torque if you look out the window.

Now here's the trick: that's not to say that bridging or deleting the resistor may not improve performance under a given set of conditions. The whole point about predictive ignition mapping like the KE3 is being very generalized and compensating very little for environmental conditions other than local fuel grade. It's a sort of one size fits all application that is the very source of its limitation. For example I played with thermostats and fitted water-methanol injection just to keep it from losing performance on hot days, which isn't particularly noticeable on a stock or near stock engine but with vastly improved flow rates and performance modification you really feel a substantial horsepower loss anywhere near 30C ambient with KE3 compared to an EFI setup or ignition controlled by a knock sensor and fast processing ECU (like some of the piggy back KE ignitions out there).

So you may find playing with your R16/1 resistor could give an anecdotal or actual performance gain under a given condition, but the most intelligent rule of thumb for general daily driving is really to use the resistor value fitted by factory for your export model. It is the one guaranteed to have a driving ignition map that won't cause any problems. The best alternative would be properly modified (ie. piggy backed) or swapped out ignition module (ie. swapping an Oz EZL and 260ohms 91RON resistor for a Japanese EZL and 740ohms 96RON resistor to guarantee the map for the new resistor value is actually loaded into that particular EZL).
The ignition maps for 98RON and Shell Ultra that are installed on the Euro R16 module are most likely not loaded into export R16/1 modules. Your EZL probably doesn't have them and neither are bridged or infinitive resistance values anyway, so you couldn't access them by bridging or removing the resistor either way.