View Single Post
Old 04-30-2003, 07:30 AM

simultaneous electrical and cooking problem

turned the key on this morning in the 83 240d. in addition to the glow plug light i had the alternator, front brake pad wear sensor and parking brake light illuminated. not thinking, i ignored all these telltale signs and proceeded to leave for work thinking the gremlin responsible would 'cure itself'. well after a half mile or so of gentle driving, i noticed that the coolant temperature guage was rising unusually rapidly. after two miles or so the coolant temperature guage was reading over 100 degrees celcius. no heat coming out the vents at this time. another mile or so the temp guage was approaching 115. even the village idiot was getting concerned at this time. pulled over and noticed upon popping the hood steaming coolant streaming out the overflow tube. parked the bugger and had someone provide a ride back to the house whereupon i started the 83 300d t and drove to work. here i sit. and now you know as much as i do. what to do? simultaneous electrical and coolong problems.? the bugger worked just fine yesterday. as an aside, any advice about getting the thing back to the stable. can i drive the thing in two mile increments? allowing time for it to cool. have maybe 4 miles total to return home. or should i have it towed? thank you.

Last edited by janko; 04-30-2003 at 01:01 PM.