View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 11:47 AM

It has been decades but if I remember. Just pull the cam gear and chain. What I do absolutely remember is I never broke a chain on these engines unless required when winding a new one it.

Things to remember. That to me I learnt with some difficulty. Make sure all the valve adjusters have an adequate interference fit. Testing with a torque wrench. Check the valve clearances every 10K without fail. Or you may be dealing with a burnt exhaust valve down the road.

Depending on your experience level. Set the balancer mark. Verifying the cam mark is also in position . If not rotate the engine once to get the cam marks to align. This avoids getting the primary timing wrong. When you change or have the head off.

Overall these are not a really difficult engine to a head removal and replacement on.

I just had a look at the year yours is. I think this was after the factory upgraded the interference fit of the valve adjusters. I still would check them though but not expect to find a weak one. So many aftermarket parts are marginal today to say the least. I do not think this applies to head gaskets but I would check before buying one. These engines were not known for having any real issue with head gaskets though.

Last edited by barry12345; 05-02-2019 at 12:16 PM.