View Single Post
Old 05-13-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diseasel300 View Post
You have a control problem or you're full of it. The A/C system has a control in it to prevent the coil from freezing. Older cars were a fluid filled probe with a set of mechanical contacts, newer cars used a thermistor poked in the plenum next to the coil to shut the compressor off when the coil reached ~38˚F. Letting the coil freeze lets all the condensation it's pulling out of the air freeze to it, forming a massive block of ice. Then your cooling stops and you defeated the purpose of having A/C.
I can create a video of my fully functioning a/c showing temps at the vent. I have several threads on the forum following the trouble I had with my system and the conversion to 152a with photos of the temp readings. I'm not on the forum to deceive any of the members. From my personal experience, this is a much better way to go. I live in southern California (desert) so the summers are brutal and this has been the best my ac has ever been. This way also provides you with not only superior cooling, but the cost of the cans (like 6 20 oz cans for $12, or something) is extremely affordable and no strict laws governing the release of the r152a. The added bonus is that right now OP is experiencing a problem in the system and unless he has 2 separate machines to evacuate (r12 and r134) to avoid contamination of either, then the cost of troubleshooting is high. Whereas with the r152a you can simply clear your system, address the component which you believe has failed, and then vacuum out the air and refill. Even if the problem wasn't resolved, the price of the r152a makes the troubleshooting easier without worrying about the cost of your refrigerant and having it properly evacuated.

1990 190E 3.0L