View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 10:25 PM

300D engine cuts after turning over. Electrical problem? Mystery? Curse?

oh boy. so some background. I was trying to do a long distance drive a few weeks ago when I stopped to fuel up.When I put the key back in the ignition the starter tried to crank before I even got the key to position two.I took it out and tried it again and small puffs of smoke came out of the keyhole.

On my second attempt to turn it over the starter engaged at terminal speeds, incredibly high pitched screaming.Key was out of the ignition but it wouldn't stop wouldn't stop until I yanked a battery terminal loose.

Replaced the ignition switch that had shorted all, Replace the starter and it's very melted solenoid. But there's a new problem

When I go to start the car the ignition behaves normally, the starter cranks and the engine turns over, and then it immediately cuts out. I've tried giving it a little tap on the accelerator, I checked out the STOP lever and its not stuck or anything unusual. Checked the fuel lines after trying to start and diesel is getting to the injectors.

I'm not good with electrical, at all, assuming thats what this is. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've never had an issue like this with my 4+ 300s.

Thanks very much,

LBJ

1982 300D Orient Red "Steak" 195K
1985 Euro 300TD Lapis Blue “Pancake” 200k KM
1982 300D Light Ivory “Butter” 183k
1984 300TD Black “Pepper” 55k