View Single Post
Old 04-30-2003, 08:06 PM
Mike Stone

E320 CDi Estate MPG

Jim,

You asked about MPG.

I regularly get 40 MPG (33 MPG US Gallon) on a trip from my home in Bristol to a fellow Directors base near Melton Mowbray in Leicestershire.

About 150 Miles, 90% on Motorway, cruising at a steady 75 - 80 Mph.

Door to door Beziers (Far South of France) to Bristol (UK) was 1071 miles driven coming back from our Holiday last year.
Used the Channel Tunnel to get from mainland Europe to UK.
Just under 29 gallons for trip. Average 37.1 mpg (31 MPG US Gallon).
Average speed for journey was 62.8, including some coffee stops and the Tunnel.

Lots of miles (Hundreds) at 90+ Mph and a Hair-Raising drive around the Paris Peripheque at 90+ in heavy traffic, outside lane, with guys behind flashing their headlight for me to move over.
Bloody Minded French Drivers, could not stand a GB Plate car in front of them. (Blue Area on left Hand Side of Number Plate in Picture says GB. This is how it's done in EEC nowerdays.)

Took just over 17 hours in total.

My normal driving on the urban motorway into Bristol and generally in the Urban area, fighting the traffic, rarely sees me under 30 MPG (25 MPG US Gallon). I do drive robustly by the way.

Mind you with Diesel & Petrol at £3.70 Pounds a Gallon ($4.90c a US Gallon) you need an economic car to live in the UK.
We are the most expensive country in the EEC for Fuel.
Diesel is 25% less in France.

As you can see I have managed to find a car that is not expensive to run, but will blow-off most other vehicles in it's class, and higher, with ease, especially BMW's.
I just hope the owners are well educated enough to know what CDi means but I doubt it.

By the way, in Europe, you find two sets of drivers who have either M/B's or BMW but would NEVER buy the alternate even if tortured.
Almost a relegious thing especially in UK & Germany.
Wonder if it's something genetic.
Does this happen in the States ???

Mike