View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 07:14 PM
Joe

Blown Engine pics, 300D / OM617 - Don't let this happen to you!

Hey Guys...so this is an added to to my '300D 0PSI Compression post'...I finally got a tool from MB Source to pull precombustion chamber, and pulled glow plug on my dead number 5 cylinder. This is from a 300D two owner 160K mile car in perfect shape with all records. I was driving about 70 on the highway when all of a sudden, black smoke out the back.....stopped, and engine was doing a dance...got home, cracked injectors and found the problem with number 5. Make a long story short, compression went to zero, even with a wet test and bleed down. Suck back on tail pipe.Pulled glow plug and pre-combustion chamber...both tips missing and melted away! Hole in piston, you can see the wrist pin! I can't figure this, except to say maybe the waste gate was stuck and the car had excessive boost leading to cooked valve, dropped valve head, and then pieces everywhere! Investigation will continue...pictures of the glow plug, precombustion chamber, fiber optic scope, and good comparison piston attached. Please check your cars so this doesn't happen to you. It so sucks if we lose an engine to something like a rusted gate or malfunctioning overboost circuit. At this point, while the investigation continues, that's all I can think of. A rebuilt engine is $10K these days...OMG...have to find a good used one, and plan on a lot of labor...
Attached Thumbnails
Blown Engine pics, 300D / OM617 - Don't let this happen to you!-glow-plug-screenshot_20190517-162120_gallery-large-.jpg   Blown Engine pics, 300D / OM617 - Don't let this happen to you!-precombustion-screenshot_20190517-162115_gallery-large-.jpg   Blown Engine pics, 300D / OM617 - Don't let this happen to you!-cylinder-wall-screenshot_20190517-162022_gallery-large-.jpg   Blown Engine pics, 300D / OM617 - Don't let this happen to you!-normal-piston-screenshot_20190517-162048_gallery-large-.jpg