View Single Post
Old 05-19-2019, 11:02 AM
...like a shield of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 SL320 View Post
Specifically, can these engines withstand reasonably high loads for extend periods of time ( Not high RPM ) without overheating ?

I have a nice 77 Chevy pickup that needs an engine and replacing the 350 is too easy. I've collected enough parts to install a 4BT Cummins but am now resisting due to noise. A 6.0 LS motor was a possibility but is too easy / boring.

The next step is a late Jaguar V12 simply because it will be an interesting swap with " what just went by? " exhaust note. My 80 Chevy 1 ton has a 292 in line 6 with good sound so I want to keep with that same format.

I'm resisting a Mercedes V12 mostly because I'm already doing the inline 6 Mercedes thing. Also the Jag uses a GM transmission so drive shaft flanges / shifter are a bolt on swap.
No in-depth knowledge though I've seen quite a few with high miles. Though in Europe due to high fuel costs they don't often get the use that say a diesel would - this means lower mile examples are easier to find.

They are famous for being hideously complicated and very expensive to fix. If, however, you are able to understand the systems and the complexities and are to approach the engine from a DIY I will adapt it point of view the engine itself is as basic as any other...

...I mean "what could possibly go wrong"

[cough cough COUGH]
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!