View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 12:44 PM

85 300D rear door stuck iopen in 2nd detent

The passenger rear door on my rust free 85 300D was feeling kind of stiff while opening and closing it last week. That door does not get used much. I was opening it part way (1st detent). Yesterday, I opened it all the way (2nd detent) so I can get better pics of the pristine floor pan to put it up for sale. When I was done, I could not close the door! It was stuck in the 2nd detent position with door wide open. I took the door card off and sprayed it with penetrating fluid which didn't help. Took the door strap out and found one of the balls came off and the strap bent (probably from me trying to force the door close).

Circled in red is the dislodged ball bearing, you can see the strap is bent compared to the 4 spares that I have.

Are the 2 on top a different style for the rears? Which type is better?

The strap in my 85 probably was never lubed since it was built in the factory, together with the rear door's lack of use, probably contributed to the ball bearing coming off.

Looks to me the only way to properly lube it is to take the door card off, reach in and smear it with grease, or take the strap out to clean and lube in order to do the best job possible.

I still have to clean up a spare and install it.

Attached Thumbnails
85 300D rear door stuck iopen in 2nd detent-2019-05-23-11.53.14-1.jpg