View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 03:48 PM
https://fintail.org

You might want to check the breather valve to make sure it's not clogged and causing pressure to build up which is forcing oil out of the seals. But, it's still likely the pinion seal needs replacing.

Removing the slotted flange nut shouldn't be a big deal. I had a really hard time unstaking the nut because I couldn't get anything underneath the tab to bend it out. But, after putting a screwdriver against one of the slots and hitting it with a hammer, the nut rotated without much force. You'll want to have the rear wheels on the ground or the parking brake engaged to keep the yoke from turning if you don't have a way to hold it.

When it comes to tightening the yoke nut, you'll probably want a yoke holder because it requires a breaker bar and tremendous force to tighten the new nut before you stake it. You'll have to constantly check the friction by turning the pinion with a lb-in beam type torque wrench until you have the same amount of force required to rotate it as it took before, under the same conditions (wheels off the ground and parking brake released).

Be aware that very tiny increments of tightening can make a huge difference in friction, and if you go too far, you can't simply loosen the nut and try again, because there is a crush sleeve behind the yoke which compresses with tightening, and it would need to be replaced--however you have to take the gear set out of the differential in order to do so, which may require a tool that stretches the housing.

DON'T MESS WITH MY MERCEDES!

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Highly Optioned, 350,000+ Miles