View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 08:57 PM

2 different issues, 2 different cars....

#1, and most important. on my 92 300D, i have pretty serious sporadic thumping on acceleration that goes away within a few seconds. it doesn't do it every time i take off, but it seems to be getting worse.

- what i know...
the driveshaft and flex discs were replaced before i bought the car, and today upon inspection, look immaculate. however, the transmission flex disc, or the one closest to the front of the car, had about 3/16 to 1/4 inch of "play" in it when i rotate the driveshaft by hand it was as if the bolts on the trans, "coupling?" were loose allowing the shaft to have the play, but they were not. tight as hell. maybe the bolts wallowed out the holes in the flex disc? but the overall condition of the both discs looked damn near perfect, and harder rubber than a tire.

also, i noticed the trans mount was so loose i could move the transmission up and down and side to side with just my fingers. the hydraulic motor mounts i replaced a few years ago, but never the trans mount.

please advise...

#2, my wife's car the 99 E300D, upon locking and unlocking the doors the fuel door actuator clicks, loudly. locking happens almost immediately, but still clicks. unlocking, takes a while for it to "click" and unlock the fuel door. you can hear the pump under the back seat running after the last passenger door is unlocked for about 12 seconds. everytime.

- what i know, and have done....
today i pulled the carpet away from the in front of the actuator, and observed it's behavior. the sprayed silicone lube on both the bolt that locks the door, and the red plastic plunger. it helped a little, quieter now, but still clicks, and still the 12 sec wait for unlocking.

i pulled the backseat and removed the pump from its insulation and listened to it run when locking/unlocking. i didn't hear any hissing. then, i pulled the line labeled "tank" (the only one in english) stuck my might vac on the hose and slowly pumped it. i would not hold vacuum, and leaked slowly. once i got it to just over 7 psi, the actuator would click just and if it were still hooked up.

however, this is were i got confused. i left the line to the tank disconnected and put a vacuum cap over the port on the pump, and did a lock/unlock cycle. it still ran almost 12 seconds upon unlocking after the passenger doors unlocked. i would've thought if the actuator on the door was bad that would have made the pump cycle quicker and removed the 12 second run time.

please advise, and thank you.