View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 10:43 PM

I don't have a garage and am constantly fighting the elements. When I first got my second car, I too thought the same duster was a good idea--then realized I was causing one of the very problems I was trying to avoid. I also have decided no one but me touches my cars when it comes to detailing, even just washing. I put signs on the dash and front seat when I take it to the dealership, since even asking ahead of time for no wash gets lost in translation for some reason. I've seen too many rush jobs where they think they are doing you a favor, only to cause damage that will have to be corrected with your time and money.

After years of thorough processes, this year I even used a ceramic coat just before the spring pollen hit--and yesterday gave it a proper wash for the first time since. I expected grit to be adhered to the lower sides that would need clay bar, but apparently the ceramic coat helped prevent it from sticking, along with an iron removal spray (for brake dust).

In my quest to prevent (at least minimize) scratches (which happens just by driving, since the airflow will abrade the paint with the dust in the air), I also this year started using a foam gun. I spray an area about a square foot, have the microfiber mitt ready, and am wiping suds on suds for higher lubricity/lower friction. After using both sides of the mitt, I disconnect the foam portion and hose out the mitt (still on my hand) with high pressure water to blast the grit out, again to avoid cross-contaminating. This is better than the two-bucket grit guard method. It takes awhile, is back-breaking, but I have immense satisfaction at the end.

There is also a nano-mitt, a rubber finish that works like a clay bar. You would do this (use the foam gun) after having already done a soapy wash like I described above. It's not necessary often (1-2 times a year), unless you have extra debris to remove which may only require a spot treatment. Claybar can remove some water spots that haven't yet etched the clear coat. If not, the polish/compound will be necessary.

Wax looks great, but this time of year will burn off quick and does not provide UV protection. I used to apply it with my bare hands. The ceramic coat, while very laborious to apply (all day with proper wash and prep) makes the washing and weather issues lower maintenance. A sealant is lower maintenance than wax but doesn't last as long as ceramic--several months. Some sealants have carnauba added as a combo product, so you get some UV protection plus the beauty of wax.