View Single Post
Old 06-08-2019, 01:13 PM
Shadetree

I used the SEM Colorcoat on the carpets in my w126. It amazed me. The original gray had sun bleached to yellow on one of the front carpet pieces. I followed the directions for cleaning including a tip I got from the senior SEM salesman at Finishmasters in Greenville, SC.

He told me the best thing to remove grease from interior and carpet is ammonia. I mixed a solution of 1/3rd ammonia to 2/3rds water and added a liberal amount of Ivory liquid dish detergent, not the dishwasher stuff.

After scrubbing the carpet with the solution using a stiff brush I rinsed it until the soap bubbles ceased to be present and the smell of ammonia was gone. After drying I brushed it and used compressed air to ensure me that it was dry and clean.

I sprayed the Colorcoat on with a harbor freight detail and touchup, HPLV paint gun, it's the chromed, 40 dollar gun with the .8mm tip and 4oz cup. I shot three coats on the carpet and brushed after each coat with an old medium soft hair brush.

The color is just a slight shade darker than the original but that's comparing it to the best original piece I've seen. I suspect all the carpet in every 33 yr old car has faded a bit.

I've used the same HPLV gun for every piece in the interior including the SEM surecoat on the seats. This was my first experience with a paint sprayer so no one should fear the process.

Read the instructions and shoot something which doesn't cost $111/qt to get familiar with the gun. Don't let the salesmen sell you anything extra to go with the paint. The ammonia and Ivory work great and I believe the money spent on prep products was wasted.

No additives to Colorcoat or Surecoat. Surecoat will hold up to most mild cleaning products which do not have ammonia in them. If you are intending to do your windows with anything containing ammonia you need to cover the leather. The overspray from Windex will leave spots.

If you're going to use an additive to the Surecoat it's $50+ for a bottle which will treat many, many gals of Surecoat.

Surecoat and colorcoat will settle worse than any paint I've seen. Prep your product before you purchase the paint or take it back to the store you bought it from and have them shake it good just before you shoot it. You'll still need to stir it when you get it home.

That's all I got. Best of luck and I have confidence in you.
95 318ic