View Single Post
Old 06-21-2019, 09:26 AM
<- Ryuko of Kill La Kill

2008 AMG E63 New Owner Jitters

Guys,

Just picked up this 2008 E63, it's been great so far and seems like it was well cared for but I hear some unfamiliar noises and smell some familiar smells that need some clarification.

I'm hearing a quiet "tocking" sound from the top side of the engine that seems to correspond to one cylinder. It's not a rod knock but more of what I imagine a weak lifter might sound like. I'm also hearing a slight "woofing" from the exhaust that is timed perfectly with the noise in the valve train.

I've searched extensively and it seems like valve train noise is somewhat common with these engines but there's no clear answer if there's a solution or just "run it". I'd personally rather it not make any weird noises.

Secondly, I'm getting a whiff of burning oil when I stop the car and get out. I suspect a problem as basic and old as valve covers leaking on the exhaust manifold. Is this a common leak location for these engines?

I'm also seeing oil puddling in the lower cover under the front of the engine. The puddle can be seen by looking straight down the front of the engine from the top, between the engine and the radiator.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Benz Fleet:
1968 UNIMOG 404.114
1998 E300
2008 E63

Non-Benz Fleet:
1992 Aerostar
1993 MR2
2000 F250