View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 09:12 PM

Tormented -- but hopeful

First of all, thanks all of you who replied. I appreciate the time you took. I can see that the 107 has its fans, and I'm in good company. That being said...

"Beast," I have to offer sincere appreciation for throwing some well-needed sand on my fire. You told me about some real problems I hadn't read about, and made me pause long enough to consider how much spare cash I can pour into my local mechanic's pockets. The truth is: not too much. So my worst-case scenario is that I drop it all having the sub-frame gusseted (or welded, then gusseted). First engine issue to come along and I'm left with a very beautiful and very large paperweight, at least for awhile. BTW, I have to give you props for your avatar picture too.

"SL320" I appreciate the plug. I hadn't seriously considered the model but I happened to see one in town today, with soft-top. It looked awfully good and the longer I looked at it, the more I could see myself enjoying it as a functional car and not a weekend toy. Also appreciate that its fuel consumption is more forgiving.

I'm in my 50s, and I will continue to look longingly when I see a 107 go by... but I'm also going to start looking for an SL320. Are there other preferred years (besides the touted '97), and are there particular problems I should watch out for when shopping? I'll keep an eye on the forum, of course, but it's more likely that I can afford one that hasn't been a forum member's baby.

Thanks again,

Adam
Portland, Oregon