View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 11:08 AM
Diesel Preferred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengoshi2000 View Post
I'll start off by saying that my long range plan (i.e. next spring) I'm going to pull the dash, replace the evap core and txv... in short, go through the entire system piece by piece; seal by seal, and get it back to 100% functionality.
Just did this (evapectomy) on my '87 300TD. Had a small leak from the evap that was getting worse, tried Clip Light leak sealer but that didn't work. Took about six hours to remove the heater box, a couple hours to refresh that with new evaporator and newish vacuum pods, and then another six or seven hours to get it all back together. The condensate drains from the bottom of the heater box were the biggest time sink, not included in the hours above, requiring multiple trips to / from local hardware stores until I found a suitable replacement for the foam hoses that disintegrate when you touch them. Eastman #0023546 Dishwasher / Disposer drain outlet adapter, reduces from 7/8 ID to 5/8, fits with no modifications and includes hose clamps.

Sadly after just one day, the shaft seal on the front of the compressor blew out, so now I get to pull and reseal the compressor.

Quote:
But in the meantime:

1) Has anyone tried to clean the evap core from the backside (i.e. by removing the blower fan and trying to vacuum the crap out)? The po parked this car under a tree for several years and I can only imagine the mung that has settled in there.
Yes, not much there. My driveway is nicely shaded by trees, I've parked there for over a decade, but I do make an effort to remove the debris that falls into the cowling area every couple weeks or so. The factory design is actually pretty good at keeping junk out. You may not find much there.

When I had access to the underside of the heater box, on the "dirty" side (engine compartment), there was surprisingly little accumulated dirt and leaves. I'm referring to the black hole around the blower fan, outside the heater box, not inside where the fan and evaporator core live.

When I pulled the evap from the heater box, there was some junk collected at the top edge, but that was impossible to get at without removing the heater box and pulling the evaporator.

Quote:
2) Has anyone found a way to retrofit some filters in there to prevent the free flow of crap into the core?
The later years of the 124 include a filter, you could snag those parts from a junkyard and retrofit into your car.

Given the vent temps you are reporting, I think your system may have a bad temp sensor and your evap is icing up? I don't think you've got an issue with a plugged up evaporator.
'87 124.193 (300TD) "White Whale", ~392k miles, 3.5l IP fitted
'95 124.131 (E300) "Sapphire", 380k miles
'73 Balboa 20 "Sanctification"
Charleston SC