View Single Post
Old 07-04-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnate1 View Post
Understand I got it in 1964 when it was considered an oddity that few would want .

I'm always gathering up old & obscure things my 80 Y.O. friend had er gandmother's 1913 Seth Thomas mantle clock with two chimes, she said it stopped working before grandma died, I bet no one bothered to wind it .

I put it on The Bay of e sans reserve and not one bid so she sold it to me for $35 ~ I can't wait to get it cleaned, lubricated and working again .

Old stuff tends to be very well made in general .
Very cool. An oddity then, perhaps, but a pricey commodity today if you were to purchase one.

I'm a collector of fine watches and have a couple vintage pieces. Many are so underappreciated. I wish I had the precision skills required to open them up and work on their intricacies.

I bet you are correct - if you get the Seth Thomas cleaned/lubed/adjusted, you'll have a very nice piece.

Old stuff was built better with the capability of having individual parts/components replaced or repaired. That is no longer the case today. Now it's like just throw it away and buy new.

You'll have to post some pictures of your mantle clock once you get it sorted. I'd love to see it.

Current:
11 MB S550 4Matic, 55k miles, Designo Black/Black
14 Ford F150 XLT Lariat Crew, 73k miles, 5.0
Coyote V8 4x4. Black/tan.
09 GMC Envoy Denali, 5.3 V8, 4x4 SWB. 38k miles,
Jewel Red/Med Gray.

Gone:
87 MB 300SDL, 320k miles, Astral Silver/Blue.
98 VW Jetta TDI, 488k miles, Classic Green/Gray.
85 Olds 98 Brougham FWD, 4.3 DIESEL V6, 80k
miles, 3x Gray.

MBCA Member, Chicago Region