View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 08:47 AM

Depending on the individuals life situation. Few thirty to forty year old cars will have the almost constant reliability much newer lower milage cars have. As long as you do not buy newer junk brands. There is today some real garbage out there.

In our case we have to have this reliability factor. At the same time others may not need this almost absolute requirement. Plus there is a time and effort required to keep really old cars serviceable that someone may not have the time for.

Older cars and paid for service are no longer a good alternative. I guess I should qualify that with just how deep your pockets are and if you do not mind the cost.

I guess what I am driving at. A thirty to forty year old car will not work out well for all owners. Yet for some it is fine.

What I do not think is the greatest ideal is trying to maintain and keep a very high milage older car on the road. There are a lot of parts involved with a car and many are going to wear out with use and millage.

Personally I tried to limit my purchases to cars that appear to have no more than 200K when considering older Mercedes to purchase. Never going by the odometer but just general observations from experience. So my interest is as a hobby rather than trying to maintain really old cars for daily service.

You cannot use them in the winter here anyways as the salt would finish them fast. So as year round drivers they are out of the question to start with here. Still show me the right Mercedes diesel car at the right price. I would buy it.

I have been driving for 61 years. Everything has changed in that time frame relating to car ownership. It will continue to change. The speed of change for almost everything has also increased so it is wise to pay some attention. Far too many people are not from what I observe.

Last edited by barry12345; 07-05-2019 at 09:20 AM.