View Single Post
Old 07-06-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstech View Post
I've made sets... I just thin and bend wrenches.
Never worried about length.
They work fine.

Longer gives more torque, sure... I hope the valves arent that tight
I had bought some wrenches (power built I believe made in china) cheap from a local auto parts store. They were regular sized combinations wrenches.

One I bent without heating it and I thought that was great. The next one snapped and broke. I had been hoping the Chinese wrenches would be soft enough to bend cold. Apparently their heat treatment and or alloys are inconsistent.

I actually started off with a Hazet set. I also have had the Heyco ones which I still have and a set made by Lumen.
I also have one of the shorter handled Hazets which is handier back on the 5th cylinder.

I made the Wrenches sort of as a hobby that paid for itself and I sold off the extra sets of the real valve adjusting wrenches but kept a few sets.

Looking at the third wrench I have often wondered if you could make a mold and do a brass casting to make them. But, have never taken the time to try.

I like the homemade set because you can use the you can orient the angled heads on them so that you have a choice when you use them and the wrench heads at least on mine were smaller.

On one of the Heyco wrenches someone cut out one side of the wrench behind the head so that it could fit more easily on the 5th cylinder.