View Single Post
Old 07-07-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
I have heard the straw tip works well. I have never tried it but it is an old school trick.

And might I suggest using a 3 M product instead of ATF? Not that AFT will not work but 3 M makes an oil that is formulated to work well on small electric motors. I have used it a lot and it really works.

Look for the oil with a blue cap.

Thx.

There are two bearings on this one. I tried various bent straws and had no luck. So I ended up opening the AC box to get the fan out. Some of the clips and screws are tricky to get in that tight space. I put power steering fluid in the bearings and all is well (didn't have ATF on hand; after all, I believe they are interchangeable in the power steering systems on these cars). Overall it was a worse job than I expected, but if I had to do it again I could do it 2x as fast.

Also, the alternator light has been dimming (not blinking) in and out erratically on occasion and those fan tests killed by battery 1/2 way. Got car going but starter was clearly not up to speed. Remember to test the A/C fan means having the ignition and glow plugs on, so I expected the drain. Change of engine speed makes a difference in the dimming characteristics but it's not clear what difference. Driving 1/2 hour with or without headlights and A/C on didn't seem to make a difference except it didn't charge the battery any more than what it was initially. I'm thinking bad alternator or bad connections somewhere, but the voltage regulator connections are solid so it gives me the inclination it's the alt. Will have checked at auto part store later this week ... Grrr...

Henry C.