View Single Post
Old 07-07-2019, 02:48 PM
Shadetree

I appreciate that contribution to the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry12345 View Post
I thought there was an electrical hookup to the alignment machine to verify the bar was being used. My experience was the local machines all except one would not post the alignment program unless the machine sensed the bar was present.

One older machine worked without the bar but has since been replaced. So there is nowhere local I could get an alignment now.

All the bar is going to do is take out any slack in the steering control system anywhere I suspect. If nothing Is worn and the front wheel bearings are set up properly. It may in practice be doing nothing. Where at the same time with some amount of combined movement available with wear. It should have an effect. Or more of an effect in my opinion.
I rebuilt my steering gear and replaced a couple steering components so I was planning on hauling the car to the dealer for one of MB's $200 alignments.

I've had people refuse to do the alignment so I refused to buy tires from them. I can find someone who will align the front end on my car without stressing over the spreader bar now. I always let them know they are only responsible for the work they do and I'll continue to be responsible for them not using the spreader bar.
95 318ic