Thread: And Now ;
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsinner111 View Post
did you know the gal,the diesel doctor? Most boats I worked on had detroit 6 71s
No. But most of the Engines the Engines that the school owned were 6-71 inlines or V 6-71s.

When I worked at the Naval Shipyard the Navy used a lot of 6-71's both right and left hand rotation and a lot of the Ships had V 12-71's and V 16-71's all turbocharged.

The newer ships with more electronics stuff were using various Vs of the 92 Series Detroit Diesels.

The Navy has their own designations for them. A I can't remember if it is 64 or 67 HN9 was an 6-71 inline with right hand rotation.

As you said the in lines were in Boats the others were Generator Engines.

Story time: One of our Guys was working on an Inline 6-71 in the Shipyard Diving Boat. It was getting a excessive blow-by in up in the Valve Cover and out of the breather tube. The Guy diagnosed that as combustion getting past the Injectors. Then he went on leave and the job was passed to me.

I pulled out the Injectors and found no evidence that combustion was passing buy them but reamed the Injector Tubes and re-installed the Injectors and did the timing, valve adjustment and so on and put the Valve Cover back on. Started the Engine and there still was excessive Blow-buy.

I removed the Valve Cover and ran the Engine and there was a lot of blow-by which was puzzling. I eventually was able to see that the blow-by was coming out of the Camshaft roller area.

I removed some of the Engine side covers and peered into the Cylinders through the ports in the Liners and it was clear that all of the Cylinders were badly scored up from I am guessing dirt. That was the cause of the blow-by.

The part in the red outlined rectangle is not an Air Filter it is an Air Silencer. It can block some really huge stuff but not like a regular Air Filter. Hence all of the life of the Engine it was not getting well filtered Air.
The only person there to talk to was one of the Divers. He did not believe me when I told him it was not an Air Filter. He also did not like my fix which was to tell him the Engine needed an overhaul.
Attached Thumbnails
And Now ;-detroit-diesel-air-silencer-bb.jpg