View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry12345 View Post
I sent a Buick in decent shape other than it needed all new brake lines to the wreckers. There where a pile of brake lines. . Older Buick but only 80 thousand miles. Fully optioned as well and was decent on fuel consumption. I wanted to give it away but the young fellows around here cannot even put new brake lines on today it seems.

Some manufacturers use far better sacrificial coatings on their brake lines than others. If you are trying to get the maximum time out of cars it is ultra important to get some petroleum based material on the exposed steel. At least in the rustbelt. Actually with brake lines your safety is also involved.

A rusted out fuel line pressurized by a pump in the fuel tank could produce quite the issue. Although I have never heard of one.
Replacing brake lines is very easy but most shops nowadays literally work on the modulus of replace this whole part if it goes bad, A brake line comes in a roll which they cannot straighten and shape like the one they are removing because of the flat rate system and also the supermarket help hiring syndrome where quantity beats quality.

e.g. when I changed the brake lines on a 07 chevy impala owned by an old lady on fixed income, It took me a whole day with jackstands etc. - but I made them very pretty too, bends that looked like factory stuff except they were nicopp - I also put a junction right at the rear subframe like GM did at the production line, but I actually put a U bend where the fuel tank fill tube was - GM literally smashed the tank in and the line bent itself to shape.

The rusted parts were right at the fuel filter and the firewall where it turns upwards and is protected by a heatsleeve.

If a shop did that - it would take about half a day I think if the tech knew how to make the lines.

Rusted out fuel lines are very common and tubing for it are sold at parts shops too, the filter union piece for GM is also sold at the same shops, The plastic clip types too.

1995 E300D - The original humming machine (consumed by Flood 2017)
2000 E320 - The evolution (consumed by flood 2017)