View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreferVintage View Post
Funola...that is of stainless, taken in my lab...actually a lot of pics taken of different metal parts involved in the failure...there were dislocations near the tip, leading me to feel the tip was expanded due to being blown off. I see you had a 300D with just under 300K miles...you stated it ran great...what mileage did you buy it at? I'd be interested to know how you took care of it...oil change intervals, valve adjustments, injectors, etc. Appreciate any info...thanks!
Nice to have a lab at your disposal! The pic is of the blown tip of the pre chamber and you have determined it to be made from stainless? What alloy stainless? Without knowing anything in the trade, my guess: the simplest test w/o sophisticated equipment would be to check it's melting point to determine what alloy it is.

My 83 300D was my first Mercedes. It had around 200k miles and a rebuilt transmission (with receipt) when I bought it. It was slow and had gray smoke in the exhaust. I changed the oil and filters and gave it a lot of Italian tune-ups which transformed it to be a great running engine. I then converted it to run on a 3 tank veg oil system and put about 100K miles on it with no engine related problems. Engine still starts and runs great when I removed the veg system and sold it (due to rust) to a forum member (with full disclosure) who was going to put the engine into a van conversion. That engine had 500 psi compression on all cylinders at the time it was sold. I changed oil at 5k mi intervals with 5W40. That was a great car and served me well.

Edit: I did rebuild and pop test the injectors with Monark nozzles.

Last edited by funola; 09-23-2019 at 08:52 AM.