View Single Post
Old 09-28-2019, 01:05 AM

Many youtubes. I rebuilt one, using a kit from ebay (<$20). Main issue was that it was dripping oil from the compressor housing. I have both Garrett & KKK between my 2 M-B and spare engine, so forgot which. Didn't look like the photo in post #16, so likely KKK. I recall it didn't have the cooling fins on the dump piston, but rather a smooth housing which aligns w/ the turbo axis. Main thing is to determine whether the nut on the shaft at the compressor blades is RH or LH threads (vaguely recall LH on mine). Also, be very careful handling the compressor blades since they are thin aluminum. My shaft had no noticeable play, so can't say the new bushings helped. I did clean gunk off the compressor blades (1985 CA car which spits crankcase vent oil directly into turbo) and the caked carbon under the exhaust turbine cup. The kits all seem to come w/ too big an O-ring for the compressor housing. One guy posted about specially ordering O-rings from McMaster. I cut and superglued the O-ring to the correct size, and put the seam at the top (to not drip oil). Good luck.