View Single Post
Old 10-16-2019, 01:08 PM

W123 Suspension Noises

Hello,

My '85 300D has been making two intermittent noises from the rear and I need some help finding out what it could be. The first and most often noise is often a semi hard clunk, always when hitting a bump and in other situations that oscillate the suspension. I was told to check the drive shaft support bearing, would a replacement one be the right move? Is it something else? The second noise sounds like someone hit a guitar chord, but it only rings for a second? This "ringing" ONLY happens when turning AND hitting something/going into driveway etc. For this I was told on another forum as well that a wheel bearing could be the cause? Does this make sense, also how would it cause this noise? I am curious the source of the noises and how important it be fixed quickly. I have done all 4 shocks in my ownership (shocks about 4 years ago) and replaced all 4 coils (about 2 years ago) as well. ALSO, I replaced a rear lower control arm about a month ago, noises were there before and after that job. I am 12 months from graduating with an engineering degree, and plan on doing all bushings when I have a real job and can let the car sit at a shop. For now I have to pick my battles for what repairs fit in the budget.

Hopefully this is not too rambley, but here are my questions again after reading the situation

1. What could be causing these noises?
2. Can it be driven as is?

Thank you!!