View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christuna View Post
from the manual:

Lamp fails to light up, engine is hard to startor fails to start altogether.Fault: Short circuit on one or more glowplugs, line interruption, preglow time relaydefective.

pull the plug from the relay and check the resistance between different plugs on the relay and the engine block to know which/how many are bad

more info:
https://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/11832/Resources/201Create/PDF/70010.pdf

only the 4 valve OM606/5/4 have long glow plugs and problems with them
That is more on the filament/loop type glow plugs where when one plug goes out they all stop working. The only way for the pencil type plugs to short circuit is if the insulation rubs through on the wires and it makes contact/grounds itself on something.

Then there is another issue. In the attached picture is a bad glow plug that appears to work. The problem with it is that it is the tip that is supposed to get hottest not the middle of the Plug (it is a Monark Glow PLug that I had bought before knew about only using Beru or Bosch). Note that that glow plug ohmed out OK when I tested it.

Here is an odd one for you over a year ago my Glow Plug Light stopped working but I was starting normally. I ignored it and about 1 year the light started coming back on normally.
Attached Thumbnails
No Glow Plug Light - '86 190D-glow-plug-test-bad-2019.jpg