View Single Post
Old 05-09-2003, 07:54 PM

I purchased an aftermarket radio from Crutchfield's for my 91 300SL which had the original Becker unit. Crutchfield sells an "adapter kit" which would allow you to build a harness to go between the new unit and the connectors which went to the Becker. ( Male to female and opposite as required.) You need to run one set of the speaker wires from your new harness all the way back to the radio chassis in the trunk. But, otherwise, it does allow you to "plug to plug" to the old system. Especially nice is the male power connector which matches the female plug in the car. I found that I didn't want to use the Becker external power amp for the door woofers, so I built my system to bypass that amp. But, I could not find a diagram for the original system anywhere and had to do much of the work by taking things apart and following the wires. Note that any new system will not integrate to the speed sensitive volume control: a plus for me as it drove me crazy. There is quite a bit of depth in the console and the cables were long enough to pull out and work with. Another note: You will most likely need to extend the antenna lead from the trunk to the console. I used the cable originally speced for the cell phone. I added a console switch to disable the antenna power up as required, as I rarely listen to radio. If you have specific ?'s, post. Tod