View Single Post
Old 11-16-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richvale5 View Post

So I checked the compression and here is the problem. As you stand in front of the engine on the right (drivers) bank the closest on to me is cylinder# 1. Now that we have proper orientation on this, I found that number 1 read 60lbs, #2 60lbs, #3 66lbs. Number 4 read 132lbs and then on the left bank number 5-7 read between 126-134lbs then #8 read 91lbs.

I shot a couple of squirts oil into #2 and the pressure shot up from 60lbs to 155 lbs.

As a consequence of the engine sitting for a long time, the hydraulic compensators have leaked down, and the valves are barely opening when trying to do a compression test. Hence, the low readings.
If the injection system will cooperate, fire it up, and when the clattering of the valve train ceases, recheck the compression.

Orientation of components in a car is with respect to the forward driving direction. To paraphrase Gertrude Stein: The Right Side, is The Right Side, is The Right Side, is The Right Side. The right hand cylinder bank is on the right hand side of the car, and the cylinders are #1-4; #5-8 are on the left.