View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 06:44 PM

Also, it never hurts to look down the throat of the carb with a flash light while pumping the gas. (unless it happens be running and it backfires). That will quickly answer the question "is there gas" ?

Those little bores that were being discussed is a zenth thing. You've got the older, oval carbs IIRC (or maybe they're the even older, round ones?) Even with a low pressure electric pump, there should be a means of returning excess fuel to the gas tank. It's also another place to look to see that you have fuel flowing in the general area. I used to keep a spare gas filter in-line there just to be able to see the fuel flow.

And like the others said, once you know you have gas, ensure the ignition is to spec. Idle at starter speed is easy enough to ensure. Yet another "why doesn't it run?" test is to give it a shot of ether. If that gets it running for 2 seconds, then you're looking for a fuel delivery issue. If that doesn't, you might want to check the plugs to see if they've been fouled up with unburned fuel. A little wire brush should help with that.

BTW, a whole motor for your car is for sale on craigs list not too far from me here on Long Island for 350$. No clue regarding it's condition. There was alos one up by Fredonia along lake Erie in the summer, I am sure that one is gone to scrap by now.

-CTH