View Single Post
Old 12-01-2019, 08:19 PM

87 190DT with 5spd conversion

I’ll spare this group the usual drivel that can come with ads for this particular version of the model (or any Merc diesel, for that matter). I can only speak to what I’ve done to the car & its current condition. I’m a half-assed backyard mechanic, but a full-assed decent human being, and want this transaction to go well for both parties.

1987 190D 2.5L Turbo in Pearl Grey metallic over Tan MB-tex
235xxx mi.
Purchased April 2016 with 219k from North Carolina. Started life in Indiana, and I was told by the PO that he bought it from Arizona. I believe I am the 4th owner.

Stock, except for the Blaupunkt stereo, homemade cupholder & the 5-speed transmission:

The leaky 722.3 auto was professionally swapped out by Metric Motors in Rehoboth, MA, with a manual gearbox and all associated goodies from an ‘88 260e. Done in Winter 2017 (10k ago), all documentation in hand, the only missing component I’d recommend is the swap out of the rear-end. I could not find one from a manual shift W201 or other compatible source, and while perfectly drivable as is, I think overall experience with the manual shifter would improve greatly if the new owner can find one & swap.

Was my DD until I put into garage storage in Dec 2017. Have been running it and driving locally over the past month, trying to iron out little things & accurately present it for sale.

Stock OM602 2.5L Engine. Starts right up, idles at 800rpm & runs right at 82 deg C. No observed oil leaks & turbo still spools up nicely. Regular Rotella oil & Mann Filter changes every 5k, was due & just had one done today before the snow.

Defects of note:
Rust: Spent some of its life in the South, but has surface rust & rot areas in spots that I’ve tried to highlight.

Rot through on the passenger front fender at the top; coolant reservoir is solid but there is rot through nearby. Also crunchy at spots on both front wheelwells, drivers side bumper area, and bottom corner drivers door. Front jack points are clean but rears have some rust developing as pictured. Trunk, rear wheel areas, door sills & jambs clean. It’s been garaged two of the three winters I’ve owned it, but it obviously spent a chunk of its life in a salty/wet environment & I've only been able to stop things from getting worse.

A/C has slow leak, non-functioning. Heater & fan elements work as intended.

Rear driver side window not working, and rear dome light out too. All windows, moonroof and electrics/lights both interior and exterior otherwise functional. Took it through the local car wash yesterday (11/29), and everything appears to be watertight too.

Interior/exterior: Looks to be the original paint, fine from 10 feet, but the plastic components interior & exterior (top of the front bumper, fascia around the dash/HVAC controls) are cracking. Dash has two straight cracks from the windscreen back. Upholstery is clean & tear free, headliner & interior overall in great shape for being 32 years old.

Less than 3k/2 years on the following:
Bilstein struts (stock replace)
Meyle shocks (stock replace)
Brake pads all around
Bosio SD265 injector nozzles
Bosch reman alternator
Interstate battery

Tires have about 24k on them

Parts: Sale includes all of my W124/W201 parts. About four plastic tote bins worth of all sorts: switches, window regulators, interior bits, headlights, monowipers, full window set & rear windscreen.

Were it not for the little human addition to our family this past summer, I’d consider making this my DD again, and wouldn’t hesitate to drive it anywhere in the North East. It’s a fun little car & the marriage of the 5 speed with the turbo in this chassis...it’s a shame they never existed from the factory this way.

Asking $4000, because you have to start somewhere. Located near Worcester Mass., within 15 minutes of Interstates I-90 & I-495. Car is not currently insured or registered, so you’ll have to trailer or bring your own plates. Reconstructed Mass. Title in hand.

Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/PSYv7HHCEWEJZuqb7
Attached Thumbnails
87 190DT with 5spd conversion-dsc00027small.jpg   87 190DT with 5spd conversion-dsc00029small.jpg   87 190DT with 5spd conversion-dsc00033small.jpg   87 190DT with 5spd conversion-dsc00045small.jpg   87 190DT with 5spd conversion-dsc00034small.jpg  

Last edited by bookman1785; 12-03-2019 at 11:09 AM.