View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry12345 View Post
In the broad scheme of things. The car seems to have more value to you than just utilitarian. What is his overall labor estimate in your mind and material costs? If he can get it done in a reasonable fashion say for around two thousand. You may regret not going that route.

We have the same problem here in Canada with high auto body shop costs.I wish we had low cost sources in Canada for body shop materials and paint like exist in America. It is very difficult for Canadians to import them.

It's the new Volvo that is utilitarian. Even the guy who quit wanted more than $2,000. He quit because it "wasn't worth his time". That saga is closed with hard feelings and I wouldn't urinate on him were he dying of thirst - but I might just to wet his thirst not enough to quench it.

My best estimate of what the entire project would cost is $6,000. I'm thinking I'd pay that if I could find a car that I knew was in the shape this one will be when finished. I haven't seen any cars where the mechanicals were finished and the cosmetics looked as good. Admittedly only someone who wanted the car would pay that much but the days of finding comparable cars for $2k seem to be gone. I've only seen ragged out cars that need all of the things I've done to this one.

The final decision will depend on whether we can work a deal where I'm confident that he will keep his end of the bargain. Writing a check is the easy part. Fixing as agreed takes work.
85SD 240K & stopped counting painted, putting bac together. 84SD 180,000. sold to a neighbor and member here but I forget his handle. The 84 is much improved from when I had it. 85TD beginning to repair to DD status. Lots of stuff to do.